Thursday, November 15, 2007

Philippians 4:8-end

Today was our last day to study Philippians. Even though it seems like we have barely scratched the surface, we have had a wonderful time studying, laughing and growing as a group. I asked each lady to bring their favorite scripture from the book of Philippians. I was amazed that none of them shared the same verse. As each one read their verse, it was precious to see what God had laid on their heart as they opened His Word. You will definitely have your own favorite, but here are theirs:

Anna

Philippians 4: 6-7 "Do not be anxious about anything but in everything by prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your request to God and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

Liz

Philippians 4:9 "Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me or seen in me, put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."

Suzanne
Philippians 2:10 "That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow in heaven, on the earth and under the earth."


Hannah
Philippians 2:12 "Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed not only in my presence but now much more in my absence continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling."

We talked about these verses in some depth and then finished our study of chapter 4. There are three main points:

1. The importance of what you think about.
2. The importance of being content no matter what your circumstance.
3. All giving is not for earthly praise but will be seen and rewarded in heaven.

Read verse 8 and the list of what Paul says to think about. All of these things are opposed to evil and negative thinking. It means we are free to think outside the box and appreciate the beauty of the people and things around us, but Jesus is always our plum line. We can not let our freedom lead us into sin or justify what we know is wrong. Our perspective is essential to living a healthy life on this earth.

Read on the mind:
Philippians 3:19
Luke 10:27
Colossians 2:17

Paul goes on to say thank you very much for the gift the Philippians gave him, but he wants them to know that he is content in all things and that their reward of praise would not come from him BUT from God who sits in heaven. Sometimes people give because it makes them feel they will not have any other "kingdom" responsibility or they want the praise of man. Paul always wanted the Philippians' eyes to be on Jesus, and even in this, he points them to him.

The fact that Paul says he is content is amazing. Don't forget that he is in prison! When I looked up the word "content," it means "a country in need of no imports." I love that because it means that in any situation, no matter how difficult, I have all I need because the almighty God is with me, and He will supply all I need.

Paul is confident in all he has said and done. He says for everyone to follow and practice all they have seen in him. I told the four ladies in our study that I could see ways that God had worked in their lives individually and that they could credit God with that and be confident to say to people they come in contact with, "follow me and my example." We are all hesitant to do that because we think of it as prideful, but I know as a Christian, that there are some things in my own life that only God could have changed. I am confident that he will use those things in the lives of others.

Praise Be His Name. May you be blessed by Him alone.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dolly said...

I loved seeing the beautiful picutres of the girls (Glenda, you forgot a picture and verse for yourself) and their fav verses from Philipians. My fav verse from Phil.1:6 which says, "Being confident in this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Jesus Christ." When I find myself in a situation where I may start feeling insecure about something I always try to revert my feelings and thoughts to the fact that God is with me and has begun a work in me that He will continue to use if I let Him. So I put my shoulders back and rest in the fact that He is with me.

November 15, 2007 at 12:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That WAS my mom's fav verse. Great minds think alike! Good one, DRS! You're a WISE girl. Wise beyond your years!

November 15, 2007 at 1:12 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I am loving the pictures! I really enjoyed yesterday's Bible Study. I like it when we share.
Thanks Glenda for the wonderful study and thanks Hannah for the chicken mini's yesterday. Yum!

November 15, 2007 at 2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How I have loved the Wonders of the Word!!!

Glenda, thank you for the investment you have made in the lives of these precious women...AND their families. May the soil of each heart yield 30,60 even 100 fold!

The Lord has given you much wisdom as you determined in your heart to teach the Letter to the Philippians. .. through study,your own life experience and your walk with the Lord these many years.
I love you!!! Jodie

Philippians 3:20 "But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ."

November 18, 2007 at 2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How I have loved the Wonders of the Word!!!

Glenda, thank you for the investment you have made in the lives of these precious women...AND their families. May the soil of each heart yield 30,60 even 100 fold!

The Lord has given you much wisdom as you determined in your heart to teach the Letter to the Philippians. .. through study,your own life experience and your walk with the Lord these many years.
I love you!!! Jodie

Philippians 3:20 "But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ."

November 18, 2007 at 2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are a beautiful wonder of the world...and a wonderful mother

November 30, 2007 at 3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home